My Blog List

Thursday, January 5, 2012

271 Return to the south of France.....Beaulieu Sur Mer part 2.

Are your paws suitably shod for the first steps into the NEW YEAR ???

 My cousin Sue sent to me exquisite concoctions from her Fairy Workshop  - aren't they delightful and just my size too!

I hope that you find your own creations for walking on the beach or the woods.
 Merlin, here are some boots to help you walk in Brocalinde xxx

Beaulieu sur Mer part 1 post number 255 
here comes part 2.........
 An evening stroll is always illuminated by fairy lights and the trees seem to grow diamante naturally !


 Sea food lunch with a chum in St Jean de Cap Ferrat  was delicious and the heat was intensive !


 Spoiled for choice !




 and there is nothing like a open top car on a hot day.
 Plenty of sculptures everywhere....

 Quiet beaches.....
 and a curious sight !!








  My father was based here for sometime between 1939- 45   I wonder where exactly !



 For Merlin xxx



 A short rest for a cold drink.
 An abundance of pink houses and blue skies......
and the end of another lovely day .
 That evening I made one of my favourite puddings- fat free Greek yogurt and egg whites with Vanilla  and not at all naughty !and VERY filling.
 Next day I took the bus again to see my chum James Bond-the Chocolatier of Valbonne.
 He always has new chocolates and temptations........
  A piece of light quiche  and white tea ......

 and then an apple  tart mmmmmmm





and the marsh mallow has NO FAT !! so when I reached home ( i.e. B s m)   I had to make another pudding !
So another day and back to the beach.


My chum Dario  was enjoying himself........

buried in the sand and scrambling over rocks certainly worked up an appetite.
 Oh dear  time to leave...
 up .up and away....

 and a bag full of happy memories.
Now the witching hour approaches  I must go to bed to dream as it is the feast of Epifania in Italy  and who knows when she may arrive !!
 Sweet dreams   Merlin xxx

In the Italian folklore, Befana is an old woman who delivers gifts to children throughout Italy on Epiphany Eve (the night of January 5) in a similar way to Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus.

The character may have originated in central Italy, then spread as a tradition to the rest of Italy.

A popular belief is that her name derives from the Feast of Epiphany or in Italian, "La Festa dell'Epifania". Epifania (Epiphany in English) is a Latin word with Greek origins. Epiphany means either the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6) or “manifestation (of the divinity)."

There is evidence to suggest that Befana is descended from the Sabine/Roman goddess named Strina. In the book Vestiges of Ancient Manners and Customs, Discoverable in Modern Italy and Sicily by Rev. John J. Blunt (John Murray, 1823), the author says:

"This Befana appears to be heir at law of a certain heathen goddess called Strenia, who presided over the new-year's gifts, 'Strenae,' from which, indeed, she derived her name. Her presents were of the same description as those of the Befana—figs, dates, and honey. Moreover her solemnities were vigorously opposed by the early Christians on account of their noisy, riotous, and licentious character".

In popular folklore Befana visits all the children of Italy on the eve of the Feast of the Epiphany to fill their socks with candy and presents if they are good or a lump of coal or dark candy if they are bad. Being a good housekeeper, many say she will sweep the floor before she leaves. The child's family typically leaves a small glass of wine and a plate with a few morsels of food, often regional or local, for the Befana.

She is usually portrayed as an old lady riding a broomstick through the air wearing a black shawl and is covered in soot because she enters the children's houses through the chimney. She is often smiling and carries a bag or hamper filled with candy, gifts, or both.
PS  I hope she leaves some fat free  marsh mallow  mmmmm. See you soon  xx.



11 comments:

  1. Am enjoying reading and seeing the lovely pictures. So dreamy.
    I hope to visit Italy at some point.
    Have a happy new year,
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that was some trip! Amazing places, chocolate, chocolate and marshmallows, to-die-for seafood platter and you look great!

    The chocolate shop wins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo late. But what a treat when I can finally get here! Oh dear, I was in all of these places once, met the finest French friends, and the food...wow. NOW THOSE FAIRY SLIPPERS, they are exquisite. HA! You should see the one I tried to fabricate, but I did sell it on my Etsy shop! I LOVE THESE!

    Good night sweet friend, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, there is our precious Anita!!
    Chere Fay...A Happy, Healthy, Fabulous New Year to you!!!
    I so love these gorgeous images..you are beautiful!! So chic!
    Drooling over the chocolate..and isn't Greek yogurt the best? Must try your marshmallow topping! ;))
    And those fairy slippers are darling. I missed out on Anita's..it sold very quickly:)
    I also really loved your penguin post, dear friend. They are just amazing and CUTE!
    Hope you get your stocking filled with delicious surprises!!
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh , how pretty and happy you look !! It is wonderful to see you and to see these beautiful sights.
    I think I have to leave BA and head up your way :)
    besitos, C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Fay what memories you have brought back!!!

    My Grandparents had a villa at the Cap...we went every Summer...way too hot for a redhead's skin but met some amazing people.

    Wonderful photos you look stunning sweetie. Ida xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know marshmallows had NO FAT! Must stock up.

    You look wonderful!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonjour Fay,
    you look beautiful as always and those are some of the most stunningly beautiful photos I've seen! Oh, those fairy slippers are so sweet.
    I, too, am a fan of the fat free marshmallow. I only prefer the handmade kind in various flavours. Your friend makes the most lovely chocolate.
    Wishing you a most beautiful weekend! xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful images, Fay!
    They make me dream of spring and summer! And what delicious food-photos - yummy!

    I just awarded you the "Fersatile Blogger" award on my latest post. Congratulation!

    Greetings from the Périgord,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Fay!
    Amazing images! Beautiful blog! I found it on "LaPouyette"
    Greetings from Kalinki (Poland)
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your versatile blogger award from Karin. I'm visiting you for the first time, but it definitely won't be the last.
    Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete