My Blog List

Sunday, January 8, 2012

272 Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar arrive in Florence - Epiphany

When you visit the Palazzo Medici - Riccardi chapel in Florence ,the vivid images of the Medici family will stay in your mind .
The fresco by Benozzo Gozzoli (1459-1462) is in such detail and with  such vibrant colours,its almost photographic.
The chapel is extremely small and remains in darkness in between visitors.


December 6th is the Feast of Epiphany and representatives from every village and town in the Provinca da Firenze dress in the same costumes of the 1450s and parade through Florence from the Palazzo Vecchio to the Duomo of Florence. 

Accompanied by the flag throwers, the various bands ,the falconers , all the guilds are represented , the Church , the Knights of Malta ,all the ethnic groups and a multitude of others.







The three kings arrive on horse back.



 
.It was beautiful day and I found myself  darting in and out of the  growing crowds and standing on tip toe in the square to see the procession of hundreds  go into the Duomo.


Over the years Ive observed many processions both inside and outside of the Duomo.






Great attention to detail in the authenticity of the dress of the period.







The procession takes hours to meander all around the historic  centre of Florence.





Dante was there of course .








not quite 15th century !!









Brunelleschi's dome

release of hundreds of balloons




Spinners and dyers guilds


mmmmmmm  







 Hope you have a guiding light for  a GREAT NEW YEAR.

  Ive just had an award from

Karin at   LA POUYETTE
 Thankyou Karin


 Please be sure to visit her.
  see you soon 
in the midst of a Leonardo landscape !!!




16 comments:

  1. GOOD EVENING DEAREST ONE!

    I was out all weekend and am finally coming here to enjoy the copious photos and excitement as you share. I have no words to say how much I LOVE this world of reenactment and beautiful clothing. This is my ultimate and favorite period, at least for dress! And who other than the Italians, to put on such a show. You have so much at your disposal! YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY is so gorgeous.

    How are you my friend? Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye,
    I hope you realize how incredibly lucky you are to live in a such a breathtaking city with so much history. Thanks for allowing us to live there vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So colourful and vibrant Fay! I love these insights into your world :-)

    Congratulations on our shared award! We deserve it :-)
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning sweet friend,

    Thank you for visiting me yesterday! Off I go NOW to prepare for another day at work, but this time, I want to remember, even through the mundane and difficult day, that what I do and say DOES MATTER.

    Keep that vial of fairy dust handy; it really makes a difference.

    LOVE!!!!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your superb images gave me a sense of the pageantry and atmosphere during this colourful celebration. Your “Versatile Blogger Award” is well deserved.
    Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your amazing photos. I visited Florence for nine days in 2009 and look forward to returning. I so enjoy your images of such a beautiful city.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very much deserverd, dear Fay!!
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, cara Fay, I forgot to mention the post!!! My memory, I tell you..
    This is just all so gorgeous and fabulous..I can just imagine the energy!
    And the smoking lady made me laugh:)
    A lovely week to you,
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fay you so deserve the award....what a glorious city Florence is I envy you living there....the art,woooooowie the costume dramas I must make a visit to see one of these pageants.

    Thank you for these wonderful photos. Ida XXX000

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful celebration! The costumes and people were gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    Congratulations on the award. It is well deserved!

    xoxo,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun festivity that was. Amazes by kiddies on the adorable little in black hood with an arrow so cute and the little girl in red velvet dress, they're so charming. Congratulations!
    buy diablo 3 account

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello sweetie....

    I've being thinking about you, wanting to come here. How are you doing? Everything is good?

    I LOVE this post, Fay. It's amazing how much culture you're exposed when you live there. It "feeds" the soul.

    Wishing you a wonderful day, my dear friend.

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful *spectaculum*!!!!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful celebration and your photography skills are wonderful. I would love to attend such a celebration.
    xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow How I would love to live the life you do and see so many fun things! What a fabulous celebration! xx
    -Taj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Fay

    I just found your blog. Congratulations on your Versatile Award. Very well deserved.
    Having spent time in Firenze, I love this particular post. I am your new follower and look forward to your visit

    Helen Tilstonxx

    ReplyDelete