My Blog List

Sunday, January 15, 2012

273 "Question everything " is always a good maxim ,I think.......

I'm sure that you are familiar with
The Mountains of the moon

The Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia

The Rocky Mountains

Saint Remy Mountains  by Vincent Van Gogh

The Cumbrian Mountains of the Lake district  by JMW Turner

Mont Blanc





Just testing !!.....
Mont Blanc



Two bites are better than one !!


BUT   what about these Mountains ?

by Fillipo Lippi   ,who was born and lived 10minutes walk from here

The Virgin of the Rocks  by Leonardo da Vinci

Madonna dei Fusi by Leonardo da Vinci
Madonna of the carnation  by Leonardo

          and La Giconda by Leonardo da Vinci.


   Everyone I asked didnt seem to know ,but happily I was able to locate the Video from the Alan Yentob series for the BBC .
It is  in episode 3 that all the latest information is revealed  .
Its astonishing -
I HAD TO SEE THE MOUNTAINS 
and THE BRIDGE ( to the right of her shoulder.)
   Click on the link to watch the whole programme.

Leonardo Da Vinci - Episode 03: The Secret Life of the Mona Lisa ...

watchdocumentary.com/.../leonardo-da-vinci-episode-03-the-secret-li...

  So , I'm happy to say that my wish came true last week, as very kind friends took me to the region in Tuscany known as Casentino  where the " mountains " and the 13th century bridge are found .

I was beside myself with excitement as this panoramic view has always be thought to be the imagination of Leonardo and not a physical place - so touching the bridge felt rather magical !
 The Calanchi are found about one hour away from Florence and the area where the  bridge is located at Buriano was very important strategically for the Romans ,and  it was built in 1277.
As it was mid January the trees were bare and gave a very clear view  of everything.



 It isnt a tourist area so we had the place to ourselves




















The last of the Kaki fruit   - my favourite ( Persimon )










and on to the Ponte Buriano......








 Nothing  seems to have changed since Leonardo was here ! and then on to Poppi........
and yes, I did climb to the top of the bell tower for a fabulous view.
 The town of Poppi......




 still lunch time so deserted streets









 20,000 men came to the battle from Florence ......
 The Dukes library was very impressive  throughout many rooms.
 I particularly like the Venetian style windows and the delicate shades are VERY pretty, the same as the Bargello in Florence .



The chapel by a friend of Giotto



It had been a most enjoyable day.

   The next day I went along to Via della Stufa in Florence  just opposite the Church of San Lorenzo ,where the Medici are buried in tombs carved in marble by Michelangelo- to soak up the atmosphere . 
 Sadly no marked places as to the residence of Lisa Gherardini  wife of  Francesco del Giocondo !

was it this house or



or this one ?


Did Leonardo walk down this street ?

To San Lorenzo


   I MUST find out which house ! 
 I do hope that you will watch the video its absolutely fascinating .

   sweet dreams Merlin 






 

18 comments:

  1. Hello Fay!
    Thanks for amazing italian journey! I love Florence- and Vinci- where Leonardo was born
    Good night
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH FAY DARLING...I tried coming over earlier by the little wheel keep on turning and wouldn't load up for me! This is a beautiful and breathtaking post as usual my sweet. YOU LOOK FABULOUS and so fit. WE MUST ALWAYS KEEP SLIM AND EAT WELL AND EXERCISE in order to climb those mountains! Oh what views dearest, what fun for you! My goodness Europe has so much to offer. My dream is to do the pilgrimage walk from Paris or another point to SANTIAGO, SPAIN. What a feat that would be to accomplish; I know Ruben and I could do it!

    AND FOR THAT LAST COMMENT ON MY BLOG!!! Oh dear, someone got a hold of a fairy wand and is trying to wave the preggers spell on me, but I am afraid that I am past that ability, fairy wand or NOT!!!!

    Teeeheeeeeee

    BE WELL BEAUTIFUL FRIEND! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. it isn't, i don't think, that there's nothing new under the sun, fay, but that what is already there is so beautiful. writers
    and painters who were friends always said to me, 'i wrote what i knew,' or 'i painted what i saw.' the skies of spain, and of the low countries, the light in paris, the mountains and upturned sediment towers of italy and of the asian scrolls, are all there, seen through different eyes, but truly a they were seen. we are so lucky to have you to see again for us and to show us where to look. milli grazi, cara fay! m

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Fay, what an amazing journey, and your photography is stunning...heading to watch the video!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post!
    And nice to see you and your family in this wonderful landscape, villages and Florence!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fascinating, dear Fay! Just stunning photos, and the ancient towns give me chills! (of the good kind) I will head over to watch the video..thank you!
    A lovely week to you,
    xoxo,
    - Irina
    (love those persimmons too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a tremendous and fantastic report I like so much Tuscany and would like to spend weeks on discovering hidden gems like these terrific bridge !!!! I prefer Laduré Mont Blanc to the real one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post ....... thank you for taking me on this lovely journey. It is easy to understand why you had such a wonderful smile on your face!
    Bonne semaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating trip Fay and, as usual, you look wonderful! My absolute favourites, those pastel windows, how perfect and that cake - yum. I love coming along on your trips with you Fay, you are a wonder!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops- made a boo-boo!

    Anyway~
    Wow!
    What a trip! Is there a town in Italy that is not fascinating?

    The highlights for me- the sunset, the fab bridge, the pastel windows and yes, it is likely that Leonardo DID walk down that street!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous photos! oh, do I love Italy. How fun to have a specific geographical goal inspired by a painting! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such breathtaking views and so much history.. one of my favourite things! I learned a bit of the Medici family last semester {Catherine de' Medici in particular} and her marriage to King Henry II.
    Wishing you a most beautiful week! xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dearest friend Fay,

    This post made my heart sing! Yet another thing I learn with you.... Wow! Can we meet each other someday? There's so much I'd like to learn w/ you, Fay.


    Have a wonderful day, my friend!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post was like poetry & music to my eyes....so much beauty it makes one weep.

    Your photography is brilliant..through the eyes of the bridges.

    What a beautiful family..what fun with the children & dog.

    Thank you sweet friend. hugs OOOOXXX Ida

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,

    This post makes my day!!!

    Greetings
    Jérôme

    P.S. you looks superbe on the pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi doll1
    I'm so happy that your wish came true to see the mountains and that I get to travel with you to so many places that you visit on this blog! lovely photos of amazing places! xx -Taj

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to see you chez moi, chere Fay! What a gift, the Advanced Style blog..isn't it?
    I must say what a gorgeous style icon YOU are, dear Fay:))
    Inspirational...every time I see your photos, I sit up straighter, and start re-evaluating my wardrobe!! Brava! ;)
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  18. PRECIOUS FAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree with my sweet friend Irina up above here.....I just visited the Advanced Style blog and I SO AGREE. I believe that YOU are a wonderful example for us women to keep walking straight, HEELS OR NOT (i can still sport them) and especially, to let a smile be your best friend. But a posh wardrobe is definitely a plus!! THANK YOU FOR COMING TO VISIT! I suppose Fitchley IS GORGEOUS in parts like any other city! My "Fitchley", or rather, my reality of coming off a HIGH of such a wonderful vacation is a bit stressful, but perhaps walking in STYLE during the stress will melt away the effects. I HOPE SO!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete